Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Nadia Faragaab's response to accusations of misrepresenting Somalis in her comments published in "The Australian"

­­In referance to the article in the Australian: I wasn't taken out of context. I own my words. Let me start by saying, I would rather have a madarasa teacher that is qualified and has a working with children check (WWCC). I appreciate the idea of having teachers that work under guidelines. Teachers that are transparent and accountable, not just to the Government but to us. Madarasas don't teach somali like they used to. By the way why is that? 

If you have a problem with the way your being represented by the Australian newspapers, come up with an alternative news outlet. while you work on your alternative news outlet, put your hand up for interviews. Represent yourselves. My comments are my opinions, which i have come to posses through my dealings with the Somali community in Melbourne, professionally and personally. 

For instance community leaders that discuss receiving half a million here and half a million there from this and that gov't dept on behalf of the Somali community. But when approached about a free Somali English dictionary app, suggestions were made, the Somali women involved in the project, dress a certain way for meetings with them. You can guess the suggested dress code. You can also guess where they were told to go. 

Now about the crises that should really worry us. Lets talk about those hiding their alcohol and other drug misuse or their homosexuality and other things (that will come to light in its own time) while hypocritically shunning it. while its understandable to me that no one wants to be an outsider in their community, its ridiculouse that these same people are acting outraged about these discussions. If the idea of being open about the things you get up to strikes fear of expolsion from the community in you, again I understand.

Yaaharay? (who is left?) those who say that they are genuine about the issues and want to partake in the solutions? Well for you lot; why are you not talking about mental health issues, substance misuse in our community? Or even parents with disabled children who are ashamed to bring out their children in public. Or women who, are raising 5 kids on their own and have panic attacks left, right and centre. Who think they are losing the plot, because they don't know what is happening to them or that it is called a panic attack. They go to their GP and get incorrect diagnosis. Fact; GPs are not experts on mental health.

How about the mother saying her child is on holidays. When in fact her child is in jail or a clinic. We need to have open and frank discussions about the issues we face and not only when the newspapers are interested in our community. Somali people were known to be open and upfront about their issues. This meant issues were nabbed in the bud. What's happened to this particular trait? I wouldn't be a Somali if i didn't use a proverb right about now. 'waxaad qarsatit wayku qarsadaan' what you hide, hides you.


I genuinely respect all your opinion. please feel free to continue discussing. I can't engage in a Facebook 'keyboard heroism', so this will be my only response. Lastly do remember ilahay iyo soomaalinimo ma'iga xigtaan god is no more yours than mine and you're not more Somali than me. No matter how you dress or your other out would appearances. Nadia Faragaab

4 comments:

  1. No need to go to a madrasah to become a "radical" anyway, there is plenty of material available on the Internet if you look in the right places. Once the NBN gets here people will be "radicalised" in record time so perhaps that's why the Liberals are against it. If they regulate then people will just go underground anyway. Perhaps I'll hold a dugsi in my garage and invite everyone along lol.

    "Somalis are having a crisis with their religion," Ms Faragaab said. << Speak for yourself. Not everybody is a fasiq who discards hijab and has their photo taken for everybody to see...

    End of the day the biggest source of radicalisation is still western foreign policy and intervention.

    If the kuffar don't want to hear it from Muslims then they can get a taste from their own intelligentsia:

    Noam Chomsky: "The list of the states that have joined the coalition against terror is quite impressive. They have a characteristic in common. They are certainly among the leading terrorist states in the world. And they happen to be led by the world champion (United States)."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought quality assuring the education of our children religious or otherwise is a responsibility of every citizen and common sense regardless if you are a parent or not.
    I call myself a Somali Muslim and for years I’ve been asking my family and friends with young children to ask questions before sending their kids to ‘make shift’ Madrasas. What is so wrong with asking the Quranic teacher where he was trained, if he is CRB checked or who is responsible for first aid should anything happen..... How on earth does a parent leave 1 adult in charge of 20-30 young children?
    Alhamdulilah, I am a Muslim today because I was encouraged to ask questions at an early age. So parents, please stop being so desperate to fulfil your religious obligations take a deep breath, think and ask questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I would dismiss most of this article as ASIO is never lax when it comes to our security. However, parents should take an active part in upbringing of their children, be it Islamic or otherwise. You can't leave them at the mercy of the schools.
    Dr. M. Imad Khan

    ReplyDelete
  4. “I could not have closed on my first home without Mr, Benjamin Lee ! Benjamin and his team went above and beyond for me on this transaction. He handled my very tight turn around time with ease and was always available for me when I had questions (and I had plenty), even when he was away from the office, which I greatly appreciated! He and his team handled many last-minute scrambles with the seller and worked tirelessly to make sure that I could close before my lease (and my down payment assistance, for that matter) expired. Mr Benjamin is incredibly knowledgeable Loan Officer, courteous, and patient. I went through a couple offers on properties before my final purchase and Benjamin was there to help with each one, often coordinating with my agent behind the scenes. I felt supported throughout the entire process. Thanks to Benjamin and the tireless efforts of his team, I am now a proud home owner! I would encourage you to consider Benjamin Briel Lee for any kind of loan.Mr, Benjamin Lee Contact informaions.via WhatsApp +1-989-394-3740  Email- Lfdsloans@outlook.com.

    ReplyDelete